You may or may not know I manage a drug store.
You also may or may not know I have a slight makeup addiction.
Finally you may or may not know that January at the drug store means one thing: NEW MAKEUP!!!! We just got our planograms last week for the resets…my favorite time of the year!
In the spirit of getting new items in for our cosmetic wall, I thought I’d review my top 10 must haves from the beauty department at Walgreens.
1. CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Mascara This is my go to mascara! I have tried so many mascaras in the past and this is hands down my favorite. I just can’t make myself spend the money on high end mascaras when there are so many great ones at the drug store. This mascara volumizes and lengthens at the same time. It’s really quite awesome.
2. Coty Airspun Powder Yes, I know my mom and my grandma and maybe even my great grandma used this powder, but you know what? It WORKS! It’s got a very distinctive smell to it and it reminds me a little of old lady, but it’s finely milled and doesn’t sink into cracks and crevices like some of the other powders I’ve tried do.
3. CoverGirl Brow & Eye Makers Pencil Most people will tell you to avoid using brow pencils on your brows, but I’ve been using them for at least a decade and I think my brows look pretty good if I do say so myself. I’ve tried to use the Anastasia Brow Wiz, but honestly I feel like I can do just as good a job with my pencil as I can with theirs. And it’s about a tenth the price! Sold.
4. Maybelline Fit Me Concealer I love watching YouTube videos, especially when it comes to makeup tutorials. I have several subscriptions to makeup gurus who review products and let me know what’s amazing and what’s a dud. Nearly everyone I’ve watched has RAVED about this concealer. Naturally I had to try some. I believe I’m on my second or third tube of the stuff now. It’s awesome! It’s got amazing coverage and blends beautifully.
5. Real Techniques Makeup Sponge Speaking of blending, these makeup sponges are seriously magically. In my opinion they are just as good if not better than the beauty blender and…here’s the best part. A beauty blender costs you $20. These sponges? Five bucks. 5! Yeah…sorry beauty blender. You are the weakest link.
6. Loreal La Palette Nude 1 & 2 When the Naked Palettes by Urban Decay came out, of course I had to get them. I wear browns on my eyes about 98.5% of the time. I LOVED the naked palettes. Then Loreal decided to up the stakes. They came out with dupes (duplicates for those of you who aren’t on the up and up) for the Naked Palettes at ⅓ the price! I picked a couple up one day and started playing. I never looked back. That’s one thing I love about drugstore brands. Sometimes it takes them a year or so, but they almost always come out with a dupe for the fan favorites.
7. Sally Hansen Color Therapy Nail Polish New this year, but very similar to the Complete Salon Manicure, which I love as well. This polish is infused with Argan Oil (the buzz word of the 21st century), but it keeps the polish on at least twice as long as other polishes. I still haven’t ventured into the gel nail world (mostly because I’m lazy), but this is a cheap alternative to it in my opinion. This color, Indiglow, has been my winter go to color since early January.
Want to know my non-drug store go to summer color? It’s Oh Cabana Boy by Orly. I’m a sucker for hot pink!
8. Maybelline Line Stiletto Liquid Liner When I first started putting on liquid liner, I picked this one up. I’ve tried several, but I find the felt tip applicator very easy to control and the color pay off is tremendous. I have since found a high end liner I prefer more, but for years and years this was the only liner I would use. If you’re just starting out with liner or have a hard time controlling those liners where the brush goes all over the place, I recommend trying this one.
9. Neutrogena Night Calming Cleansing Towlettes So this isn’t really “makeup” per se, but it’s definitely a necessity when you need to take off your makeup. I keep a pack in my nightstand and on the nights when I’m just too tired to go wash my face, I at least take off what I can with these wipes. They’re quick, easy and convenient!
10. CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash Mascara in Clear…but not for your eyes! One of the things they don’t tell you when you become pregnant is that you’re going to lose your hair after you give birth. OK, they might tell you that part, but they don’t tell you that growing that hair back is a pain. And it leaves you with a lot of flyaways! Sometimes, hairspray just doesn’t cut it. On those days, I break out the clear mascara and paint my flyaways down! Just a quick coat on the hairs will help keep those pesky things in place. A word of caution though…don’t use too much or it will make your hair look greasy!
You may have noticed that I don’t have any lip items on this list. Well…I’m really not a lip girl! I would rather go without lip products than with them most days. Sometimes I get a wild hair and decide to try something. Remember that note about hot pink? I do, in fact, have hot pink lipstick! My husband tells me I look ridiculous though…
What are your go to drugstore products? Would you guys like to hear about my go to high end products?