It’s Finally Time

Hello, blog world.  You may or may not have been wondering where I’ve been for the past several months.  I could tell you I’ve been super busy, that I’ve be away from my computer (like anyone would believe that), or some other crazy excuse as to why I haven’t blogged in a while, but the truth is I just plain didn’t feel like it.

It’s not the first time I’ve taken a blogging break and I know it won’t be the last.  The reason I know this is because we are expecting again.  🙂  You may be familiar with my miscarriage story from last year.  Let me fill you in on what’s been happening since then:

After losing Baby D, I was sad, but determined to keep my head up.  I was a good girl and went for my blood work each week until my hCG levels were back to zero.  (For those of you who aren’t familiar like myself, hCG is a hormone produced when pregnant.  Doctors can use a blood sample to determine if you are or are not pregnant by looking at this hormone.  When you have a miscarriage, you have to go back each week for them to test your levels until they are below 5.  I had to have my blood drawn 5 times before they cleared me.)

After getting back to “ground zero”, I was told to let my body go through two normal menstrual cycles before trying again.  By February, I gave myself the green light.  We started trying again.  February’s trials did not result in anything.  I was determined not to stress about it, as I figured that would only make the conception more difficult.

In March, we had scheduled a glorious vacation to Maui.  An entire week of sun, sand, and surf passed.  We enjoyed ourselves immensely and I think it’s safe to say it was one of the best, most relaxing vacations I’ve ever been on.

Two weeks after we got back from Maui I started to feel a little funny.  I would  get slightly dizzy and then it would go away just as quickly as it came.  I felt a little queasy, but then I’d eat or drink something and I’d be good as new.  The most noticeable different was my breasts.  They were…growing…  I asked Jeff if they looked bigger and he said no, but I knew they were.  Plus they felt a little more tender than normal too.

I just knew I was pregnant.  I had told myself to wait until April 7 (Thursday) to take a pregnancy test since that was 28 days after my last menstrual cycle, but on Sunday (April 3) I couldn’t wait any longer.  I took the test, placed it on the back of the toilet tank, and walked away for 2 minutes.  Jeff came in the room and I told him what I was doing.  He eagerly waited with me.  After the loooooong two minutes, I walked over to the toilet, and picked up the test.  I looked at it and it read “pregnant”!!  I was jumping up and down, screaming, and hugging Jeff. That week in Maui really paid off!

We had decided not to tell anyone this time because we didn’t want to go through the heartbreak of telling everyone the bad news just in case that happened like it did last time.  Well, that lasted all of about five minutes.  I told Jeff I had to tell someone or I would go crazy!  I texted Carolyn the above picture and within minutes she texted back congratulating me.   🙂

A couple days later, I was really having a hard time not telling people, namely my family.  Finally, after talking it over with Jeff, we decided telling parents was OK.  Thankfully.  It’s very hard to keep a secret you’re this excited about!  I called each of my parents and, like Jeff and myself, they were cautiously excited.  No one wants to get their hopes up just to get disappointed again.  In the end, we ended up telling a few more people than we originally planned, but I was determined to keep this secret from Facebook and WordPress for a while longer.

Weeks passed relatively uneventfully.  This time around I experienced some nausea, but for the most part I was still pretty symptom free.  I would have a few waves of nausea hit me, but I never got sick.  I thank my lucky stars for that one every time I think about it.

Finally, it was time for my 8 week appointment at the OB.  I had such a horrible experience with my last OB, I decided to switch offices this time.  Everything, from the moment I contacted them, was different.  I felt so much better about this office!  I felt like they actually cared.  They gave me so much information this time around!  I am one of those people who would rather be more informed than less, so I appreciated the time each person took with me.

At the first appointment, they did the basic doctor’s office stuff:  weight, blood pressure, heart rate, vaginal exam, etc.  I informed the nurse practitioner that I had miscarried the year before so she scheduled an ultrasound for later in the week.  It was really just to give me piece of mind, but I appreciated it nonetheless.

The three days I had to wait in between the doctor’s visit and the ultrasound dragged on!  It felt like forever.  Finally, it was time.  Jeff met me at the doctor’s office and, together, we saw the first glimpse of our peanut:

The ultrasound tech said I was actually measuring at 10 weeks instead of 9, so my due date got bumped up a week.  Since our little one is due in December, the earlier it gets here and the farther away from Christmas, the better!

I left the office with the biggest smile on my face.  I couldn’t wait to share the news and pictures with my family and close friends who knew I was pregnant!  I finally had confirmation that I was in fact pregnant.  I huge weight lifted off my chest and I was able to breathe a little easier.  Guess I better enjoy it while I can, huh?  🙂

The real test was making it to the second trimester.  That was my ultimate goal (at that point anyway).  I wanted to hit 13 weeks and still be going strong.  So I patiently waited and tried to keep as much worry away from the situation as possible.

Wednesday, June 8, dawned bright and warm.  I had planned to go to my second doctor’s appointment in the morning and then spend the rest of the day relaxing with my friend Chrissy at the pool.  I got up and kept myself busy that morning with chores and the like until it was time to head to the doctor’s.  I felt like I had to wait forever, but finally I was in the room with the doc.  He told me to lay back and proceeded to use the doppler to listen to my little one’s heartbeat.  I asked if I could record the audio on my phone and he agreed.  I am so glad I did, because I have that quick little heartbeat with me at all times.  Every time I listen to that beat-beat-beat-beat, I smile.  I can’t wait to experience even more special times with my peanut.

To make things even better, this appointment was the day before I reached Week 14.  I had done it.  I had carried my baby successfully into the second trimester!

Needless to say, Jeff and I are over the moon thrilled about being pregnant.  I’ll admit I have my moments of panic.  We will be responsible for this little bit.  We will make decisions that will shape the future of another human being.  But I also am so excited to see a little piece of me walking and talking.  Jeff and I talk about the future quite a bit…what we think the baby will look like, whose traits Peanut (our nickname for the baby) will have, whose demeanor, etc.  We both think it’s a boy, but only time will tell.

I will be 15 weeks tomorrow.  I can’t believe I’m over 1/3 the way through.  It’s really flying (and creeping) by.  I’m not really starting to show, but my pants do feel tighter.  I haven’t gained any weight so far, but I’m not really surprised since I was a little overweight to begin with.  I figure my body is just catching up right now and eventually I’ll start to put on the pounds.  I’m trying to eat as healthy as I can while still listening to my cravings.  Speaking of cravings, mine include FRUIT!  I’m loving strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and grapes right now.  I am not really liking the beef so much, which I’ve heard is pretty typical.  I’m excited that my craving is for something healthy and I hope that continues throughout the pregnancy.

My next appointment is July 7th and our gender ultrasound should be a few weeks after that.  Yes, we will be finding out the gender and I’m sure I’ll be sharing that news, but for now all we can do is wait.  And I’m OK with that.

Keep on cooking, Peanut.  The world will be yours soon.


9 thoughts on “It’s Finally Time

  1. Bethany,

    You have a great talent for writing….love reading your blog !! I am so excited for you and Jeff…..there is nothing better and more rewarding than to be a parent. I look forward to meeting “little peanut” when he/she arrives .

    Diane Inglet

  2. Pingback: Small Changes, Big Differences | One Girl's Taste on Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s