Birthday Weekend Part 2

The morning of August 14 (yeah…it’s been 10 days since we celebrated at the lake!  Whoops…) dawned bright and cheerful.  I got up early and ran to the grocery store to stock up on some lake goodies.  I got turkey pepperoni, cheese, crackers, and Double Stuffed Oreos just to name a few things.  Then I went home to prepare some ham sandwiches and gather the rest of the treats so we could meet Chrissy, Michael, and Paul at Jason’s house.

We arrived at the lake around noon and quickly got the boat in the water.The day was spent swimming, tubing, eating, and relaxing.Until….We noticed the sky beginning to get dark, but hoped it would pass so we stayed out on the water.  Mistake number one.It began to rain.  Hard.Finally it passed, and we thought, OK, it’s over now.  So again we stayed on the water.  Mistake number two.

A nice state park official came by and told us the rain from earlier had actually been a tornado passing through and another one was on its way in the next 4o minutes.  We decided it was time to call it a day and started to head back to the dock, which was quite a ways away.  We weren’t quite quick enough.

It rained again.  So hard and so long in fact that I didn’t take any pictures.  At this point everything was getting soaked and I didn’t want my camera to get ruined. I stowed it in the glove compartment and prayed it would be fine.

I stuck my head into this tube:and held on for dear life, while Paul and Jason tried to navigate us to safety.  We finally got back to the dock, but not before we got lost in the downpour because it was too hard to see, flooded the motor to the point that we had to wait several minutes before we could try to get it started again, and had to use oars to free ourselves from some branches in the lake.

By the time we got back to the dock, we were all freezing and miserable.  To top off the day, this poor guy was getting arrested for domestic violence against some chick.All I can say is, thank goodness for the provisions we brought with us.  At least we could laugh about the day!As soon as Jeff and I got home from the lake, we showered and fell into bed, exhausted.  We took a quick cat nap and then proceeded to primp for dinner that night.We tried a new place (to me) called Bullwinkle’s Top Hat Bistro.  My manager at work had been telling me about this place for quite some time and I always forgot to try it when I was thinking of restaurants at which to eat.

They were some of the friendless folk I’ve ever encountered in a restaurant!  As it was my birthday, Chrissy and Jason bought me a glass of wine.  Then Carolyn told the bartender it was my birthday and he said the next glass was on him!  Score!  Then when Carolyn’s dinner was delayed, they offered her a free glass a wine, then me a free glass, then Chrissy a free glass!Bullwinkles is famous for their ribs, so I had to try one!What a great group of kids to celebrate the night with!We were supposed to come back to the house for brownies and presents, but we were all exhausted so we said goodnight at the restaurant and parted ways.  I can’t speak for anyone else, but I know as soon as I got home, I crawled in to bed to dream dreams of lakes, rainfall, and ribs.

Thanks to all my wonderful friends for making 29 a great birthday!


One thought on “Birthday Weekend Part 2

  1. I cannot believe you’re 29! It was only yesterday (wasn’t it?) when I was changing your diapers. You have some great friends. Thanks for sharing your birthday with me. I wish I could have been there. Love you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s